The National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council (NMVTRC) has recognised the following Volkswagen models as Australia’s most secure vehicles in their respective class or category.
• small car category — the Volkswagen Polo, 5-door Hatch
• The people mover category — the Volkswagen Multivan
• Commercial class — the Volkswagen Caddy Van.
The Chairman of the NMVTRC, David Morgan stated that car makers have made a concerted effort in recent years to render cars much harder to steal, thanks to improved security technologies.
• entry systems (such as door, ignition and fuel filler locks, rear seat/boot access and glazing);
• theft resistance systems (such as alarms, engine immobilisers, sound systems, wheel and component substitution protection); and
• vehicle identification (body stamping, security labelling and microdotting).
Jutta Dierks, Managing Director of Volkswagen Group Australia, said “winning three awards out of the eight categories is a very good result for us, especially when we have two of our entry models for Passenger and Commercial vehicles (the Polo and Caddy) winning their respective classes. Vehicle security is an important part of our product planning strategy, so it is extremely satisfying when our products are acknowledged and rewarded.”