≡ Menu

Audi R8 e-tron: In detail!

Audi R8 e-tron

Here’s the latest intel about the Audi R8 e-tron.

The distribution of the electric drive torque in the R8 e-tron distinctly favors the rear axle. Like the standard Audi R8, about 70 per cent of the power acts at the rear in regular operation, with the remaining 30 per cent going to the front wheels. Should slip occur at an axle, this balance changes in a fraction of a second – so that the electrically driven high-powered sports car embodies the fundamental strength of quattro technology.

The R8 e-tron also manages the lateral dynamics through its four motors. They allow so-called torque vectoring, the selective acceleration of individual wheels and therefore active distribution of torque. Understeering and oversteering can be compensated with ultra precision by small power boosts and brake interventions. The electrically driven high-powered sports car retains exemplary neutrality even at maximum lateral acceleration, hurrying along curves as if on rails.

The running gear employs double triangular control arms at the front axle and trapezium links made of forged aluminum components at the rear axle – a configuration that has proven its merit in motor sports as an optimal layout for high dynamics, maximum precision and exact intrinsic steering behavior. Notwithstanding the firmness of the springs and shock absorbers, they still afford good comfort. The rack and pinion steering with its direct gear ratio provides finely differentiated feedback. The steering is electro-mechanically assisted depending on the speed. The Audi R8 e-tron rolls on 19 inch wheels.